Soto Medan Recipe
for 4 servings (est. 1 hour of preparation and 1 hour of cooking)
- 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 chicken thigh
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk) or lime zest (6 limes!)
- 6 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 1 cinnamon stick (Indonesian: kayu manis)
- 3 cardamom (Indonesian: kapulaga)
- 2 cloves (Indonesian: cengkeh)
- ½ star anise (Indonesian: bunga lawang/bunga pekak)
- 1000 ml water
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 100 gram glass noodles (Indonesian: sohun), soaked in boiling water until tender and drained
- ½ cup bean sprouts (Indonesian: taoge)
- fried shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah goreng)
- melinjo crackers (Indonesian: emping)
- 4 kaffir limes (Indonesian: jeruk limo)
Grind the following into spice paste
- 6 shallots or onion/red onion (same weight)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri) or macadamia/almond
- 20 gram fresh galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas), peeled
- 10 gram fresh turmeric (Indonesian: kunyit), peeled
- 5 gram fresh ginger (Indonesian: jahe), peeled
- ½ tablespoon coriander powder (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper (Indonesian: bubuk lada)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (Indonesian: bubuk pala)
Combine the following ingredients to make the chili sauce
- 40 gram ground red chilies
- juice of 1 lime (Indonesian: jeruk nipis)
- 3 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat cooking oil in a soup pot and fry the spice paste until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken thigh, lime leaves, bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, anise, water, and 100 ml of coconut milk into the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken, tear the chicken meat with hands and set aside.
- Strain the soup and return the strained soup to the pot. Add the rest of the coconut milk (another 100 ml) and bring to a boil.
- Add the soaked glass noodles and bean sprouts, cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the soto into 4 bowls, topped each bowl with the shredded chicken meat from 1 chicken thigh, garnish with some fried shallots, and serve with a plate of steamed white rice, melinjo crackers, and juice of 1 kaffir lime along with the chili sauce.
Source: Daily Cooking Quest